Mar 2, 2013

a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle

The other day PBS had a special on called, MAKERS: The Women Who Made America. It was a breath-taking three hour documentary about women's rights (and equal rights for everyone), and it explained how feminism has evolved- sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Oh, and did I mention Meryl Streep was the narrator? I can honestly say I've never seen such an inspiring documentary. It helped remind me how important feminism is to me in more ways than one. It's always been hard for my brain to grasp the concept that women and minorities are not being treated equals as white men. Now don't get me wrong, I love men, but I also love being respected and being equal. Though I love feminism, and it's part of who I am, it angers me, because there are some "feminists" who hate men and think that women are better. To me, feminism means the belief that everyone needs to [not should] be equal. Hating men defeats the whole purpose in my opinion. I truly think if men were treated like most women [and minorities] have been treated, things would be a lot different.

One of the problems with this is the fact that many people are unable to walk in another person's shoes. People can have a huge impact if they just let the ignorant people know what it's like to be discriminated. I don't mean discriminate them, and be like, "Hah! How does it feel?" You can simply talk to them or even ask them to watch certain films or read a book. Of couse not everyone will be easy to talk to, but it never hurts to try and help them see the big picture. Unfortunately, I know a lot of girls and guys who think feminism is stupid, because a women belongs at home. Yeah, okay be a stay at home mom for a while, and tell me in 20 years if you enjoyed it. (I would like to note that some people do become stay at home mother's and really enjoy their simple life, and there is nothing wrong with that- as long as you're happy.) I can't understand why someone is okay with not being equal with someone because of their gender, though. I love feminism without a doubt, but I wish that people would just listen and not jump to conclusions. There is nothing wrong with being beautiful, loving men, having sex, and being a housemaker. But there is also nothing wrong with standing what you believe in, being single, and most importantly: being equal.
Gloria Steinem
That Girl (1966 - 1971) The first television show in America where the
 main character was a working, single woman. (1, 2)
A book by Betty Friedan that sparked the second wave of feminism.
~*~*~me feeling extra girly today~*~*~



Laterz,
Tessa

5 comments:

  1. THAT HAIR!!!!! SO BEAUTIFUL, MY EYES ARE BURNIN'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Tessa! I caught that doc too, and I loved it so much! I think it's sad that feminism has been reduced to such a narrow view when, at heart, there are people from all over and of all shapes and sizes that are still feminists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dress is the single greatest item of clothing i've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture of you is simply stunning <3
    you go girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

♡All comments are read & loved. Thank you so much for dropping by!♡