Oct 18, 2012

Appreciation Society: Beauty is Only Skin Deep

It's so weird lately I've realized that people (a lot of them I know) are obsessed with being "beautiful." By "beautiful" I mean: has to wear make up, constant attention/compliments, and they think they aren't pretty (or skinny) enough. I suppose it's taboo to me, because I'm comfortable in my own skin. It just makes me sad because a lot of these people I know are really beautiful. Lately, I feel like I need to sing One Direction to everyone. Maybe it's just that time of year where teenagers get more angsty than usual...To me I think nearly everything is beautiful in it's own little way (maybe not poop though. it's pretty gross). Just the other day I got an anonymous message on tumblr because they felt the need to tell me I looked fat in my outfit of the day post (which consisted of a large sweater and loose skirt). It really didn't bother me, but it was just sort of weird. Who said looking/being fat was a bad thing? There's plenty of people who are bigger that are super pretty, but I feel like a lot of people don't realize that you can be thin or wide to be pretty. It doesn't have to be one or the other! In the Victorian Era plump people were thought more beautiful than thin people (it showed wealth). On the other hand there are really thin people who are gorgeous (example: Twiggy Lawson). Make-up is the same way. There's a lot of people that I know who are so freaking beautiful without make-up, but because of other people they feel the need for gallons of base, eye shadow, and lip gloss. On the other hand, some people look really great with make-up. It really all depends. Gosh people stop being so hard on yourself and deal with the fact that you're pretty. Now I'm not saying you have to be fat, you have to be skinny, you shouldn't wear makeup, or you should wear makeup. You should do whatever makes you happy.

11-02-1954_12884 Audrey Hepburn
Queen Victoria
Edie Sedgwick
Twiggy Lawson
Winona Ryder 008Winona Ryder 011
Peggy Moffitt applying her make-up
Faithfull_Marianne_006Faithfull_Marianne_005

Yeah that's just how I feel about the subject. Anywho I need to get working on my german homework. 
What does beauty mean to you?

1 comment:

  1. I wish more people could see it the way you too. The more someone say they're ugly more it becomes true. I mean, I you said you were ugly I'd disagree. If you keep repeating I'd question and as soon as you point out things I'd probably start seeing it the way you do. I think someone's beautiful when they're comfortable with themselves. No matter their size. I was mocked for being to tall and have no boobs during my teenager years and to be honestly I'm pretty ok with that now. And who cares I'm 5'10, I fucking love those massive heels! haha xxx

    ReplyDelete

♡All comments are read & loved. Thank you so much for dropping by!♡